Wednesday, July 8, 2009

uNtrAcEabLe Amontillado

Something of vengeance I had tasted for the first time; as aromatic wine it seemed, on swallowing, warm and racy: its after-flavor, metallic and corroding, gave me a sensation as if I had been poisoned. But by taking revenge, a man is but even with his enemy; but in passing over it, he is superior--a sweet revenge. This man, Dr. Niell Cox, had borne me exceptional jeopardy and I seek justice to it; wont just sit for nothing.

This man is but a great follower of his Hippocratic oath. Well respected and honored, not because of anything else but his miraculous scalpel touch. Being hailed as one of the most powerful men, no need to account the lives wasted and the happiness vanished, he holds their lives at his mercy. Who is happy and rich? He that is content. Who is that? Nobody.

It was about twilight, in one far-off corner of a busy street clouded with massive people and nobody seemed to care for anybody, I bumped with this friend of mine. There he was wearing his ever glamorous black coat with gray tie in contrast to usual immaculate white one. At last this is the time, the only chance. I was so pleased to see him.

I said to him, "My dear Dr. Cox , how nice it is to see you here. How remarkably well you are today. I have come up with this extra ordinary liquid solution but I have my doubts as to what is it.

"How?" he coerced. "It may be a breakthrough. How sure are you?"

"I doubt it though but this may be something relevant in your field. I will take it into consideration", I replied.

"A solvent."

"It might be."

"Sounds interesting!"

"Perhaps! I'm on my way to Dr. Adams, for him to see it" I said.

"No, no! Allow me." he insisted. "Come, let us go."

"But it's already getting late and I heard you are not in good condition."

"This is nothing. I just had good shots of wine with some friends. Let's proceed to your chamber."

Thus speaking, carrying with him a bottle of a genuine wine of Amontillado, we both went to my chamber in a secluded area in the heart of the forest of nowhere. This was made of bricks and of exotic style for the area becomes narrower and narrower as it goes downward. No one was there but us. Resembled that of a forgotten sanctuary, it was an artificial chamber built just for this purpose of research. It was a room of organized yet aged things. Bottles of solutions were everywhere and various research specimen on the long table; many specimens end up in one or more unsophisticated automated analyzers. But the most dominant and notable in the perimeter was that of huge drums of chemicals and solutions.

We proceeded to the inner suites of that chamber. We passed and nearly stumbled down on some clinical apparatus which were filled with interwoven cob webs and accumulated with dusts. I heard him coughed.

"This may not be a good idea. This place is contaminated of various chemicals and these may not be ideal for your condition." I said.

"Don't mind me." he said as he gulp some liquor from the bottle."Ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh!"

Poor man; so desperate! Desperate as I am.

"Well, there's still enough time to return. It may be much better if we do this some other time." I argued.

"Enough argument!" he said. "Cough virus wont kill me unless its of dreaded strain, I can distinguish it myself by profession ."

"Yes, of course I know that but if nothing seemed right feel free to tell me."

He then offered me some wine to drink.

"Toast to your breakthrough." he said.

"To your life" I replied

He again took my arm and we continued our way to the deeper, darker and more isolated portion of the chamber.

"This room is extensive." he said.

"The Moriarty clan was a great one.

"I forget your arms."

"A huge human foot of gold, in a field azure, the foot crushes a serpent rampant whose fangs are embedded in the heel."

"and the motto?"

"Ojo por ojo, diente por diente" (An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth)

"Good!" he then said.

Then eventually we continued with a little illumination coming from my flash light. We passed by so many old oak doors, huge ones as we went into the deeper portion. Stumbled down by some flask on the floor, tubes of various types for specific purposes and few burners. Some discarded electronic equipments are in one corner and another. Dropping of water could be heard somewhere.

From time to time, he is taking some more gulp from his bottle of Amontillado.

Then there we are. Surrounded by huge drums of solutes, he stood there bewildered and stupidly thinking what is the best thing to do now. I asked him to check the one closer to us as to what it contains. Hurriedly securing a rope on his waist as he went up that drum of 10 feet high and 3 feet circumference. He peeped down and that's the chance I grasped.

"Go down." I said. Then released the chain.

"This is just plain H2O and nothing is unusual about it." he called out.

"There is!"I shouted back. "Wait until you feel it, until you finally know it's finished." That I told him as I adjust the knob of one drum. I turned and continued, until it reached it's maximum concentration. The sulfuric acid is now on its effect. It would appear that nothing was submerged in there, nothing at all. The more concentrated, the better.

No trace. Nothing!

"Ha ha ha-he he he! this isn't a good jest my friend" he called aloud.

"No, it isn't! Now, no mercy lies on your hands."

"Have mercy!!" he begged

No, it is never enough compensation for stealing the life of my beloved thus stealing my chance of life as well. I thought to myself.

"Dr. Cox." I called again.

There's deafening silence.

My heart grew sick; it was the dampness of the room that made it so. Covering the drum with concrete steel and turning the adjustment button on the danger level. He is such an extraordinary person with extraordinary wit thus might as well give him an extraordinary execution. There I made a one of a kind mixture of solution, sorpredente! Que en paz descance.




*Dr. Cox in real life is a British doctor who was convicted of attempted euthanasia.
*Moriarty means noble or exalted.

1 comment: