Friday, August 7, 2009

A Journey...

M-O-T-H-E-R

"M" is for the million things she gave me,
"O" means only that she's growing old,
"T" is for the tears she shed to save me,
"H" is for her heart of purest gold;
"E" is for her eyes, with love-light shining,
"R" means right, and right she'll always be,
Put them all together, they spell "MOTHER,"
A word that means the world to me.
--Howard Johnson (c. 1915)

Being a mother is one of the most exceptional role a woman plays. It is one of the greatest right a woman could have. She would always have a great impact on any child's life. This is because they share unique bond which had started since the day of conception. Bonding and attachment comes with a day-to-day unconditional love. This attachment is evident in the poem The Journey by Maxine Kumin. It reflected the different facets of this unconditional love. There's always a fear in each mother's heart of almost all the things concerning her child. In the poem, I just couldn't imagine the fear encompassing the mother's heart for what the future may bring to her daughter. But that fear is at a higher level especially with the fact that she wouldn't be by her daughter's side along the journey from that point of her life. But even if that's the case, being separated physically and geographically would not mean that the connection between them is completely gone.

I couldn't help but relate myself with the poem. The pieces of advice that my mom would constantly give me still rings in my head. But its frequency increased since the day I left home for college. I know that it was hard for her to me go and leave me on my one but I saw in her eyes that she trusted me enough to give me the opportunity to explore the world on my own and learn from the experiences that this new world could offer. It is really true that in any type of relationship it must always be a give and take process, and you must know that in your heart the love you share will surely cross any boundaries.


No comments:

Post a Comment